- 1 litre vegetable stock
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 350g arborio (risotto) rice
- 400g butternut pumpkin, diced small
- 50g butter
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Piece of vegan cheese for grating
1. Heat the stock in a jug in the microwave so it’s quite warm. In a saucepan sweat the onion in the butter until soft.
- Add the rice and mix well for a few seconds to coat the grains with butter, then pour in one-third of the stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until almost all the stock is absorbed. Add the pumpkin and a little more stock, and continue to simmer gently until the stock is absorbed.
- From then on add more stock a little at a time, until the pumpkin is soft and the rice nicely cooked. You may not need all the stock, but the texture should be loose and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the peas and stir through, cover the pan while keeping the heat down low. Add a bit more stock if you think its necessary – it should not stick to the bottom.
As an option grate a piece of cheese directly into the risotto immediately before serving.