Homemade fries are a rare treat, because I truly don’t enjoy the smell of deep frying in my house. But when I relent and give in to my never-ending desire for fried crunchy vegetables – this is definitely the best way to have them. Infused with of garlic and herbs – with a glass of wine and a lashing of garlic sauce, this is the perfect dinner end to my long weekend. Happy cooking all xx
500 g potatoes
700 ml Oil
6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
6 sage leaves
2 large stalks rosemary
8 sprigs thyme
salt, to taste
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into chips. Sprinkle with salt and let set.
- Heat the oil in a deep, wide pot until sizzling
- Put all the chips into the pan for about 8 minutes, or until they are just beginning to colour
- Add the unpeeled garlic into the pan, and carefully stir the chips around with tongs (the oil will be very hot, so be careful)
- Continue to fry the fries until they are beginning to be golden. Keep a close eye on the pan at all times, if the garlic starts to go brown remove immediately.
- when the chips are just about cooked, throw in the herbs and after 2 minutes scoop everything out of the oil onto kitchen towel.
- Check salt and serve immediately.