As the weather starts to get colder here in the Southern hemisphere, I find myself in front of my casserole pot today. This is my happy place – and this casserole is one of my favourites. I have used porcini mushrooms for richness and flavour, added to meaty Swiss brown and field mushrooms and braised them in a red wine and tomato based sauce. Served over a bed of creamy vegan mash, this is certainly one version of heaven. Happy cooking xx
8 Large field mushrooms
200 g Swiss brown mushrooms
30 g dried porcini mushrooms
2 large carrots, diced finely
2 celery sticks diced finely
1 large onion diced finely
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup red wine
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 can diced tomatoes
6-8 spring thyme
salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Place the porcini mushrooms in a bowl with a cup of vegetable stock
- Film the bottom of a cast iron casserole dish or deep wide saucepan with oil, then sauté the carrots, celery and onion until softened.
- Add garlic until fragrant, then add the field and swiss brown mushrooms and mix well until covered with the oil from the vegetable frying. Saute for 2 minutes until the mushrooms get a tiny bit softer, then add the flour and mix with the vegetables.
- Add the porcini mushrooms and their stock, followed by the leaves of thyme.
- Add the wine and mix to combine well. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Add the Diced tomatoes and check seasoning again.
- Bring to the boil, then cover the pot, lower the heat and simmer for around 25 minutes. Check seasoning and serve with creamy vegan mashed potatoes.
Happy Cooking everyone! xx