I love the creativity that starts to come out at the end of a fast. As you know I made this recipe earlier in the season when fresh mangoes were not plentiful in a non vegan fashion. I re-created it for a dinner party at mine using vegan ingredients and it went down a treat. Refreshing and fruity it is truly a festival of mangoes. Enjoy! xx
500 g Konafa (kataifi) pastry
100 g icing (powdered) sugar
100g vegetable ghee (or vegan butter)
4 large mangoes (Peeled and chopped, peels reserved)
for the vegan mango cream
2.5 cups almond milk
1 cup mango nectar
115 g sugar
4 tbsp cornflour
for the syrup
1.5 cups of sugar
1 cup water
1 tbpsn lemon juice
Start by making the vegan mango cream
1. Take half a cup of the almond milk (room temperature) and whisk with the corn flour until completely dissolved and set aside
2. Place the rest of the almond milk, mango nectar, and sugar into a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
3. Once the sugar is dissolved, add the cornflour and almond milk mixture and stir until the mixture thickens.
4. Check to taste for sugar
5. Cool to room temperature
make the syrup
1. In a saucepan over low heat, add the water, sugar and lemon juice and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, and allow to almost come to a full boil.
2. Set the syrup aside to cool, to room temperature. Add the mango peels to the syrup and refrigerate until cold.
Bake the konafa
1. Shred the konafa pastry well
2. Add the melted ghee and mix well
3. Add the sugar and mix well
4. Place into 2 identical 9 inch spring form pans (or any similar size round pans that have been sprayed with oil). This will form the top and bottom of the konafa
5. Place the tins into the oven for 30-35 minutes or until a deep golden brown
1. As soon as the baked Konafa pastry comees out of the oven and while it is still hot, Pour the COLD mango syrup over it. use half of the syrup for each half of the konafa
2. Once the syrup soaked konafa has cooled down to room temperature top one of the konafa discs with the mango cream and the chunks of mango.
3. Top with the other syrup soaked disc.
4. Refrigerate, then serve.
Happy Cooking and God bless. xx