My mum has been making this dish for years! Its a great weeknight meal ’cause its quick. and tasty! Tender strips of beef are cooked in a creamy earthy mushroom sauce flavoured with dijon mustard and Worcestershire Sauce . Said to be the food of russian royalty, it goes just fine for a suburban family 🙂 Some people serve over buttered pasta, I prefer rice, because my people are a rice people!
Be sure to use a lean cut of meat, sliced long and thin to ensure it cooks quickly and doesn’t become chewy. You can also experiment in making this meal with different types of mushrooms to bring out different flavours.
From my family to yours, enjoy and happy cooking xx
2 – 1/2 cups beef stock
400 gm sliced mushrooms
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (not olive oil)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 kilo rump steak, sliced (purchase just over a kilo, by the time the fat is removed and its sliced it will be a kilo or thereabouts)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup plain flour
1 medium onion, finely diced
1.5 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons sour cream
1. Season the beef strips generously with salt and pepper and dredge them in the flour. (I like to put them all in a plastic bag and shake it all about)
2. Heat a deep wide pan to medium-high heat and add the oil. When the oil is very hot, add the beef, spreading it in a single layer and stirring with the wooden spoon so that it browns quickly on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Be sure not to overcrowd the pan; work in batches if necessary. Sauté the beef just long enough so that it browns slightly on all sides; don’t overcook it. Transfer the to the side for the moment
3. Melt the butter in the pan and add the onion. Sauté, scraping up the browned bits in the bottom of the pan with the wooden spoon, until the onion just begins to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms and stir 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Pour in the beef stock. Stir in the mustard and Worcestershire sauce and add back the beef.
6. Bring to a simmer while stirring. Reduce the heat to low cover the pan, leave to simmer about 5 minutes.
7. Once the beef is cooked stir in the sour cream, cooking just until heated through. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve over buttered egg noodles or boiled rice, sprinkled with the parsley.