I have stumbled on the ultimate weeknight chicken dish. Lemon and garlic sticky chicken. 10 minutes prep and 25 minute cooking time, the chicken is infused with lemon and thyme while soy sauce, lemon juice, honey and garlic create an incredible sticky sauce. Once it was cooked i couldn’t stop myself from going back to the pot to ensure the flavours were ‘balanced’ (ie just taste the sauce again) Enjoy and happy cooking xx
1 large chicken, jointed into 8–10 pieces
3-4 tbsp olive oil
1 head of garlic, halved horizontally
A few thyme sprigs
3 tbspn white wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp honey
1 lemon, finely sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken joints with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- Brown the chicken pieces (in batches if necessary) two to three minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and thyme sprigs, and sauté until fragrant
- Add the vinegar and allow to bubble until reduced by half. Drizzle over the soy sauce shake the pan to combine the juices.
- Pour in a good splash of hot water and add the lemon slices. Let the liquid bubble and reduce down until syrupy, which will take about 10 minutes or so. By now the chicken should be cooked through. 5 minutes before the chicken is cooked, drizzle the honey over and shake to combine.
- Check the seasoning for salt and pepper and adjust if necessary.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter, spoon over the sauce.
Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or crusty bread.