God bless the creator of Oreo’s – although they were created or lactose and dairy intolerant children in the first instance, they are a staple in our household when we are observing a vegan diet. I developed this recipe because I tasted a ‘regular’ oreo cheesecake that was amazing, and since the invention of Tofutti cream cheese, baked vegan cheesecake is no longer a thing of the imagination.
I invite you to try this one, the cheesecake fillling is sweet but not to sweet, scented with vanilla and dotted exquisitely with crushed oreos. The base is a dense mess of crushed oreos and the whole thing comes together beautifully. From my family to yours…happy cooking xx
3 x 150g packet oreos
2 tablespoons vegan margarine (melted, I use Golden Canola Lite)
2 x Tubs of Tofutti cream cheese (try to find Tofutti cream cheese it tastes much better than other cream cheese substitutes out there)
Egg replacer for 2 eggs (Found in the health food isle of supermarkets I used Orgran No Egg)
¾ cup caster sugar
1.5 teaspoons of vanilla
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (not fan forced, if all you have is fan forced then bake it at 160)
- Line the bottom of a 9 inch (or similar) springform pan with baking paper and spray the sides with a touch of oil.
- In a food processor, combine 1.5 packets of the Oreos and process until fine. Add in the melted butter until combined and press into the bottom of the springform pan.
- Using an electric mixer, Beat the cream cheese, egg replacer, sugar and vanilla for about 2-3 minutes until smooth and combined
- Coarsely chop remaining oreos and fold into the cream cheese mixture and then pour onto the base
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until only a slight wobble remains. Turn off oven, open the door of the oven slightly and let the cheesecake cool in there for another 10 minutes. Then remove from the oven and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Serve with soy ice cream. Enjoy!! Happy cooking xx